The best raw soups need to be balanced and flavored carefully — not too salty, spicy, or rich-so that you can easily eat a whole bowlful.
There are 6 components in a perfectly balanced raw vegetable soup:
- Citrus juice
Here’s a recipe for my favorite raw soup. It tastes like a fresh, green version of Gazpacho:
Garden Vegetable Soup
Yield: 2 servings
- 3/4 cup water 1 zucchini, unpeeled and chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped, or 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1 stalk celery, chopped 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mellow white miso
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch salt, or to taste
- 1 cup baby spinach, packed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 6 leaves fresh basil
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
Put all the ingredients in a blender and process on high speed until smooth. Stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, Garden Vegetable Soup will keep for 2 days.
Let’s go through the 6 components of this tasty raw soup as we go through this recipe:
1. First, put 3/4 cup of water in the bottom of the blender, to just cover the blades. Now everything you add will blend smoothly. Also, adding water makes the soup milder.
2. Next, add soft vegetables that are easy to blend. We’re using zucchini, tomato, and celery. Just one tomato, though-we want the soup to stay green. We’ll also add some mild green leafy vegetables and herbs-spinach, and parsley or basil.
3. Third a bit of citrus to perk up the flavor of the greens. We’ll use a tablespoon of lemon juice here.
4. Next, some salt. To replace most of the salt, we’re going to add some miso, which is a fermented paste made from soybeans. It adds a deep flavor similar to stock. We’ll also add just a pinch of salt.
5. Next, seasonings. This recipe calls for garlic, green onion, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. I like green onion in raw soups, because it’s milder than red or yellow onion.
6. Finally, half of an avocado. That’s going to turn it into a creamy vegetable soup, and add some healthy fats.
And that’s it! To take this soup with you, just put it in a glass mason jar. If you’re able to refrigerate it, great, but if not, it will keep at room temperature for up to 6 hours.